Monday, September 15, 2014

Firefox/Seamonkey/IceCat and the "Couldn't load XPCOM" error

So I ran into this error upon installing Seamonkey v2.29 in order to do some compatibility testing. This was particularly annoying because I have a version of Firefox that is running just fine.

I had downloaded the Seamonkey 64-bit contributed build, and untarred/bzipped in my /usr/lib64 directory and then attempted to launch, only to see the dreaded:
Couldn't load XPCOM.

A search on the web lead to many suggestions of re-installing, which I considered to be using a machete when a scalpel should suffice.

So a little more digging suggested the problem is the ability of the program to link with the correct version of xulrunner. The seamonkey subdir does contain its own libxul.so and run-mozilla.sh, but apparently those are not interfacing with the rest of the system well.

So a peek inside /usr/lib64/xulrunner showed that it, too has a version of run-mozilla.sh. So I simply executed:
$ /usr/lib64/xulrunner/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib64/seamonkey/seamonkey

and problem solved.

This, I'm sure, is an entirely unsophisticated description and understanding of what's going on, but the solution works (at least for me on my system).

No comments: